Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's the word people?

What's the Word people?

I think it's great when people know what they want. In fact, I hope my kids grow up to be people of action who know what they want and are willing to get after it to get things done. Hoooooowever, I'm not sure that everything that we want is really worth wanting. I was talking to the TT yesterday and we were discussing the whole issue of kids making All-State and recognition of private teachers and the like. (Private teachers don't get mentioned in the program, just the school the kid goes to) Now, TT can teach. Straight up. The boy can teach (he's not really a boy, he's older than me, in fact, he graduated from H.S. when I was in 6th Grade.) Anyways.

The man can teach. He had a private student make All-State. Now, we do what I would call "low tier" music jobs, meaning that we aren't high profile H.S. band directors. Someone else who is vaunted around these parts as a "really good teacher" also had a kid make All-State, but below TT's student. Now, TT says "How come no one recognizes that my kid just beat his kid?"(Vesides the fact that some people don't audition well, or have bad days, or are lazy, or whatever) TT wants to receive more acknowledgement of his accomplishments as an educator, but at what cost?

People always say "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" and that's fine, but dang, I could only be so squeaky. Would I like to be hearalded more universally for my musical ability? Yeah. Am I going to go running around like a maniac (and seeming like I don't feel blessed to have the job I have) trying to get recognized? Nope. This reminds me of 2 things: 1) "You can't always get what you waaahaaant" and 2) "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it" Would I like to be doing something a little bit different from what I'm doing now? Yeah. Am I going to go crazy trying to make MY time work because I want it NOW? No. I don't know, I'm just not wired that way. Plus, the big thing for me is...it's more about the kid than it is about me. Yeah, you're teaching them, but ultimately when you tell them "Go do this" they actually have to go do it. I would say the same thing for myself. I had NO private teacher my Junior Year in H.S. and I was still first chair All-State. I had to buck up and do the work.

So, now TT is trying to figure out ways in which he can do something that would be more fulfilling to him professionally and, at the same time, garner a little more attention. I understand that, but I'm fulfilled professionally already. I have a job. That may sound harsh, but I like being able to support my family. (A side note to this is: TT knows this and would never think that I'm in the same position he's in. He's single. I'm married and have 3 kids. He knows I wouldn't dare take his line of thinking nor can I afford to.) Nonetheless, at what point do we seem ungrateful for our blessings? At what point do you stop and say "Where is God in this?"

Upon further meditation I found this: Isaiah 27:11 ......For this is a people without understanding, so their Maker has no compassion on them, and their Creator shows them no favor

Right about now I'm REALLY hoping I have understanding. Can you imagine all the time you spent apart from God and all the times He wanted to grant you favor, yet you had no understanding? Even so, you most likely received some measure of grace in that time. Now you understand and how much more does God expect of you? Of us? Grace is beautiful but it is not the only abundance in God's economy. Is He not also calling us to greater understanding and greater knowledge. Greater wisdom and greater compassion? Wow!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I love the way you were able to tie regular, everyday work stuff into Scripture.

    ReplyDelete