Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's Basketball Time!

Alright, the NFL season is almost over and I've already made my Super Bowl pick, so I figure I can move on to the NBA. I'm not touching college basketball until it's time for the tournament. Let's face it, there's too many teams and too many players for me to even act like I even have a clue what's going on. When they get it down to 65 teams, then I'll have an opinion.

Let's just break it down to the teams that matter today(I almost tried to do a power ranking and then I realized they never take into account age, injury, or mental stamina):

The Orlando Magic... They made 23 3's in Sacramento...hmm, I think they can shoot. You know, you could analyze the heck out of this team, but let's keep it real. Dwight Howard is Superman. Even is he's not perfect every night, his presence still makes a huge difference in the lane. He's big and imposing, and he THREW his dunk into the basket last year at the Dunk competition. Jameer Nelson is turning into the man on the point everyone thought he would be when he took St. Joe's on that undefeated run. Can we say big guy, point guard combo? (Magic and Kareem people!) Oh, and they also have Rashard Lewis just hanging out and creating shots every night. Yeah, no wonder they're REALLY soaring right now.

Hope - That Dwight Howard becomes more like Bill Russell than he already looks.

Fear - That when Dwight can't keep it up Jameer and Rashard won't be ale to step up consistently.

The Cleveland Cavaliers... LeBron, LeBron, LeBron. Ok, a little Daniel Gibson sprinkled in there. Alright, I'll give you Anderson Varejao too. I love Kobe, but LeBron is the MVP today, tomorrow, and the next day.

Hope - LeBron keeps getting better

Fear - LeBron gets attacked by a Tonya Harding fan club member.

The Boston Celtics... As much as I have a distaste for the Celtics, KG can ball. He's not a guy who has to have the ball in his hands at the end of the game, but he's going to the Hall for sure. Ray Allen never really lived up to the major hype he got coming out of UCONN, but I think alot of it was unfair. Did we REALLY think he was going to be on the level of someone like Kobe or LeBron? Paul Pierce is the man on this team. AS much as I just don't like him, he took games into his hands in the Finals and he forced the Celtics to beat my Lakers last year.

Hope -Paul Pierce has the playoffs he had last season.

Fear - Someone else has to have the ball in their hands at the end of games.


The Los Angeles Lakers... Kobe, Kobe, Kobe. He should've already been the MVP at least 2 other times, he's one of the best to ever do it. Pau Gasol isn't the inner presence that can halt a team's offense all by itself, but he's so solid that I'll forgive him. Andrew Bynum is maturing very quickly (I mean, when Kareem's mentoring you all the suck better leave your game immediately.) He's the answer to the fact the Pau can't live in the lane all day.

Hope - Andrew Bynum becomes more like Kareem everyday

Fear - As Kobe transitions the team every so slowly to Bynum we all keep expecting 81 points a night

I think even the casual fan sees these 4 teams as the odds on favorites to win a title this season. There's a problem though..3 of these teams are in the Eastern Conference. If we keep this up until the playoffs someone is going to be genuinely upset before conference final time.

Can't someone step it up in the Western Conference? I know the Spurs are hot right now. They're also getting old. I don't think Shaqavich (yes, he decided folks should call him that because he improved his shooting and he said everyone whose name ends in -vich is a good shooter) is gonna get it done. He's old, out of shape, and has a bad hip. The same bad hip he had in 2003. Maybe Tracy McGrady and Yao can get past the 1st round this season. But really, who's going to bet on that given the fact that poor Tracy's (I actually do feel bad for him) never ben past the 1st round. Ooooh, maybe Portland and Greg Oden. He's the new........yeah, he's too injury prone to know what's he's the next new of. (I know, Brandon Roy's sooo great. Sorry folks, all the LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy in the world ins't makng them the sleeper right now.) DENVER! Melo is great! They dumped Allen Iverson (very smart, I like AI alot, but the train's left the station I'm afraid), picked up Chauncey Billups (HIGHLY smart. You think he's not upset that Detroit traded him? I'd be HOT!), and are playing well right now. Never underestimate the fury of a point guard scorned.

Dark Horse du jour: Denver

Worst move of the Week: The Grizzlies fired Mark Iavaroni. They gave him a year and half with a laughing stock team and they expected more? Are you serious? They must be looking back to '04 they were the 6 seed and thinking "How come we can't do that every year?" Ummm, hello, no Hubie + no White Chocolate (oh yeah, and that Pau guy the Lakers gave you a sack full of shredded newspaper (Kwame Brown) for) = no Playoffs. Now they have to pay out his entire contract (good for him) and find another coach. Well, they really wanted Avery Johnson but he told them "Hell no, I'm not taking that job." Actually, that's what he old his wife just to reassure her, but you get the idea. Now they're stuck with no coach, no good prospects, and a pathetic team. Good job Memphis! Don't you wish you could get Big Country back?

No comments:

Post a Comment