Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Peyton or Kurt? Larry or Jerry? Optimist or Pessimist?

Down here I listen to 790 AM and the midday show is great. Actually, the midday show's always been great, it just changes hosts alot. The other day they posed an interesting question(actually they do that everyday.) Who's better? Peyton or Kurt?

Well dang, I had to think about it. Peyton's been to 2 AFC title games. Kurt's been to 3 NFC title games. Peyton's won 1. Kurt's won 3. Peyton's won 1 Super Bowl. Kurt's won 1 Super Bowl. Peyton's won 2 MYP's. Kurt's won 2 MVP's. Peyton's had a gazillion more chances than Kurt Warner. Peyton's never been a journeyman. He's never had to be cut by the team he took to the Super Bowl and then be the "old guy" who can develop the "kid". Then, be cut again to be the "old guy" again to the "kid" and then take over for the kid and take his team (who has never been to the Super Bowl) to the Super Bowl on his BACK! I'm not saying they don't have other players, but him being in there was what made it for the Cardinals. Kurt IS clutch. Peyton has been clutch ONCE. Dangit, I love Peyton Manning, but he's not AS good as Kurt when you are simply looking at postseason success (which is what most people use to judge professional athletes.) The comparison is almost unfair to Kurt, and yet he still comes out looking like gold.

Hoooooowever, if you take into account a FULL career, regular season and everything, then Peyton Manning is BY FAR the better quarterback. (You see why I'm so conflicted?( Peyton Manning is 3839-5960 for 45,628 yds and 333 TD's for his career! He's only 32! If he's doesn't suffer a major injury he can play probably 4 or 5 more years. Look out Brett Favre and Dan Marino! Kurt's not even close to that. Granted, he hasn't started every year of his life like Peyton, but Peyton's numbers are sick! How can you argue with that? Even before Peyton won the Super Bowl everybody crapped on him, but I was always thinking "But, he's sooooooo good. Give him a break." Who do you choose? Let's call it a pick 'em and call it a day...

Larry or Jerry? Well dang again. Jerry Rice is probably the best FOOTBALL player ever. Regardless of position. He's the man. I would post his career stats, but they may stop your heart right at your computer. (No, really. Ok, here's the link, but I warned you. If you're infirm or have cardiac problems, don't look!)

Is Larry looking like Jerry right now? Ummmm, yeah (Well, except for the coronary part.) What happens if Kurt's no longer throwing him the ball? What happens if he suffers a major injury (which Jerry never had?) Can he make it to more Super Bowls with the Cardinals? I don't know. But yeah, right now, he's looking like Jerry. He'll get a little bit closer if he blows doors on that incredible Steeler secondary.

Then, another interesting question was posed. Barack Obama's got 4 years in office (at least.) Do you have hope that your team could meet President Obama in the next four years? I kind of seized up thinking about it. The Lakers (ummm, yeah, but I don't want to jinx them), they have the best record in the NBA as of today, I'm feeling pretty good.

The 49ers? I'm feeling better because we have a new coach (who doesn't love Mike Singletary?) and the team is being turned over more to football people every year(like, they're about to hire Dan Reeves as the Offensive Coordinator), but the Super Bowl? I don't know *can't you hear the teeth gritting?*

The Braves? Yikes! We went to the World Series 5 times and lost 4(with, perhaps, the best staff in history) (although the Kent Hrbek pulled Ron Gant off first base, so really it should be lost 3, but I'm not bitter, promise.) Do I think we can go back NOW, with all of the parody in Baseball? I don't know *I know, the teeth gritting sound is bad, sorry.* But, you never know. The Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl. The Tampa Bay Rays went to the World Series. The Celtics picked themselves up out of the basement and won The Finals. The Hawks took the Celtics to 7 games in the playoffs. George Mason went to the Final Four. Anything is possible.

So, yes, we have reason to be optimistic. Reality may set in at some point during a particular season, but that doesn't mean that things won't pick up next season. I said last week that Donovan McNabb is not clutch. I may say that again next year and he might prove me wrong, you never know.

I think sports are a venue for optimism. The rare sports fan finds their team to be reprehensibly far behind before the season even starts(you know, Sox fans, Cubs fans, Lions fans), but most are optimistic and ready for next year. I don't get too sucked in because I don't want to get majorly disappointed, BUT, I do think each of my teams has at least an outside chance of meeting the President.

Come on, you know your team has a shot. That's my challenge to you. Who are your teams and how much hope do you have in their chances? I'd be interested to see who REALLY thinks their team has a chance and who completely disagrees and cannot shake the feeling that their beloved team is sunk before the season has even started.

No comments:

Post a Comment