Monday, January 26, 2009

This is not REALLY about Basketball

I remember when Albert Haynesworth stomped on Andre Gurode's head. He got 5 games without pay. He even copped to it almost immediately (which I respect.) Now, I don't remember when Kermit Washington essentially broke Rudy Tomjanovich's face (since I wasn't born yet)(apparently, it was determined later that Rudy almost died) but I've seen more than one story on it and Rudy has long since forgiven Kermit, and I think he's even railed against the idea that Kermit should be defined by this one action.

So, now we're onto a new I-hope-it's-not-defining-moment. Chase Buddinger's face was stomped on by an opposing player today.



Do I know the long term ramifications of what's going on? Do I know why it was done? Do I know if Buddinger will ever forgive? Or if the other player will ask for forgiveness? No. I do know this. I hope that we can take a page from Albert Haynesworth, Kermit Washington, and Rudy Tomjanovich. Accept your responsibility, ask for forgiveness, and stand up and say "this one thing does not define me, God does."

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:9


If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matthew 6:14-15


I'm not saying forgiving is easy. But I am saying that it takes a strong person (imagine how strong Rudy Tomjanovich is)(or how hard it was for Albert to say after the fact "What I did out there was disgusting") to forgive. I don't know if Rudy, Albert, or Kermit are Christians, but this sure is a good example of how to deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment