Thursday, July 9, 2009

Doing More Of My Own Thing

It just so happens that I'm not with a High School Marching Band Staff this fall. I guess the economy has hit even healthy non-profits so I'm out of work at the present time in the whole marching band area. When I got the word I was NOT pleased and not sure what we were going to do. After a week to reflect I've pretty much landed a freelance gig writing on men's fashion, shoes and fragrances, gotten good feedback from other bands about helping them out, and gotten my materials out to a bunch of local schools so I can pick up some more private students.

At the end of the day I felt alot more free. I was reminded a few years ago that I have unique talents that could be harnessed to enrich kids and produce income for my family. The example that was given to me was a lady who held a camp in the woods one each summer for middle and high schools kids and she cleared more than I make in a year in that one week. That's not bad.

So, everything seems to be falling into place. I was telling my Pastor about this and he came out of the blue with this idea for using this campground that's right here in Metro Atlanta. I mean, I have a good idea in hand, I don't need to have hundreds upon hundreds of kids attend to do well for myself on it, it'll be something I love doing, and I don't have to go to the hills of North Cacalack or Tennessee to do it? That's what I'm talking about!

I guess the thing that makes this the easiest is the idea that I have an entire school year to figure this thing out, prep it, promote it, fill it and do it. Even on the smallest scale I could have 10 kids come to my first event, hold it at a church and do quite well for everyone involved. That's promising.

That's doing your own thing. Everyone forgets that even the biggest started small. I guess we're starting real small.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds excellent! From what Heather's told me though, you might want to skip Tuesdays... ;)

    ReplyDelete